Addicted To Hoes

All things outdoors

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Mega Yard Update

Everything is changing rapidly in the yard these days, below are some of the recent highlights.

Below is the first rose bloom of the season, I've kept all nine of my bushes alive thus far, we'll see how things far come June.


Next picture is an evening primrose that I planted a few years ago. These guys die back with the heat and resurface in a different part of the yard each year. This plant has spread rapidly in the last few weeks, and although it's growing on top of my cucumber and squash vines, I don't mind for the blooms.

I read somewhere that it's possible to grow bananas here in the desert. Lucky for me my local nursery was selling them. I remember the last time Emily and I drove over to Scottsdale there was a house with rows of banana plants about six feet tall last fall, so I suppose it's worth a shot.



Next picture are various bulbs and my squash vine.




One of the jubilees on the south side of the house that looks horrible after our January freeze, has not only come back, but is already blooming.



Another plant left for dead, this red cap gum tree looked horrible just a few months ago, but has leafed back out.




The chinese pistache tree has leafed out and is growing very well this spring, unfortunately our bougainvillea hasn't fare so well, only coming back from the ground, with the exception of a few stalks against the house. I'm in the process of cutting back as much of the dead growth as I can, without losing the height of the plant. I'm also being careful not to disturb two birds nests that have been built between it and the house.


Finally the white plumbago that looked terrible in January has leafed out nicely and should be blooming soon.





2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, good luck with that banana tree! I used to have some in my backyard growing up, but I live in a more tropical climate. I'd start looking ahead to when it starts bearing fruit, ours were always LOADED and you had to hack them off with a machete. We'd give away most of our bananas - it was just too much!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, that was supposed to be Matt's momma - An AB from BabyCenter :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home