Addicted To Hoes

All things outdoors

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mystery Plants Identified

Tonight I picked up at random a book on annuals, perennials and bulbs that Emily's mom gave me last Christmas, and started flipping through the annuals section.

Lo and behold, two of the wildflowers that have come up in the yard were in there.

The first, is called Five Spot (common name), which makes sense given the coloration of the petals. I have maybe three of four of these coming up.



This one, which I've pictured numerous times already this spring, is called Scorpion Weed, or California Blue Bell. The book indicates that it's commonly planted around agricultural crops because they attract pollinating insects. These are taking over my wildflower path, I have at least fifteen individual plants that are spreading everywhere, and have at least forty blooms now. I read that they're long blooming and heat hardy, so we'll see how hardy they are come June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home