Addicted To Hoes

All things outdoors

Monday, May 11, 2009

Another Yard Update

A few more pictures here for you. This was our 6th day in a row over 100, and the next seven are going to be much the same. Unless something freak happens, our streak of days over 100 will probably last another 60 days until the monsoon gets here.
At any rate, I've been watering the yard relentlessly, and everything is still hanging in there. It won't be until June that things will start laying over from the heat. I cringe thinking about the water bill that's out there lurking in the shadows.
I've managed to nurse four or five cardinal vines through sprouting, and with some help of shade cloth and afternoon shade under the mesquite, they're starting to take off. The one pictured here is in my deck planter, and it's tendrils are reaching out to grab whatever they can.



Our chaste tree is blooming, and is very fragrant. After moving this poor plant all over the yard trying to find a place for it, it's found it's home in an old whiskey barrel.



Both the Li and the Lang jujubes are forming fruit, although I seriously doubt that they'll mature in our 110+ heat come June. You never know, though, I'd love to get two crops from these trees, we always have one in November, but never in the summer.


Our chinese pistache tree is also continuing to grow, which is unusual for it this far into the hotter weather. Perhaps I've finally figured out how to properly water it. I love the color of the leaves when they're first pushing out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home