Addicted To Hoes

All things outdoors

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Elusive Iris

After driving all over town today, rummaging through four Home Depot's and a Lowe's (I can't wait till the new Lowe's opens near us, I'm sick of HD), I finally found some Dutch Iris bulbs, dark purple. This may all be for nought if they don't come up in the spring, but I've never attempted to plant bulbs in the yard, and now seems like as good a time as any. I've already planted some Daffodils and Narcissus bulbs near and under our Chilean Mesquite, hoping they'll get some filtered shade during the summer. Also picked up a bag of Anemone bulbs, apparently poisonous plants with big white blooms... I thought these would look good mixed amongst the purple, but a) this is assuming any of them actually come up, and b) I don't know about planting something that could potentially kill our dog. I might take those back and exchange them for some Ixia bulbs, they looked nice, and my Sunset book doesn't indicate that they're lethal. Just like Home Depot to either sell something without a disclaimer and/or sell something that just isn't native to this area (Magnolia's, for example, my God, are you serious? In this climate?).

I'm hoping to get some more yard pictures posted here as time permits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home